The name of this abbey comes from its founder, Isembaut de l'Etoile, brother of Pierre de l'Etoile founder of the Abbey of Fontgombault, who established a community of hermits on the lands of Monsieur de Cenvis, a Lord of Chauvigny. The hermitage became a Benedictine community in 1124, and joined the Cistercians in 1145.
Destroyed during the 100 Years War, the regime of the Commende, and the Wars of Religion, the Abbey was ceded to the state, and became a farm in 1792. Thanks to one of the members of the Commende, canon of the Cathedral of Quebec, the Abbey was able to welcome the Acadian refugees who were given lodgings by the Maquis de Perusses des Cars, which action merits the appreciation of Acadian descendants.
The Abbey was the home of famous Abbots, notably the great theologian Isaac de l'Etoile.
The Abbey is currently being restored. Visit the chapter house, the chapel, and the permanent exhibition of the Abbey Mill.
Close by is the Acadian Museum of Eight Houses.