Domaine de La Groie
The Domaine de la Groie at Ingrandes-sur-Vienne is the remains of a medieval castle (consisting mainly of two 15th century towers and a 17th century entrance building) in wooded grounds of 3 hectares (oak and ash trees) that is currently being restored.
The earliest records of the fief of La Groie date back to 1425, when the feudal castle (complete with moat and drawbridge) belonged to the "d'Allogny” family, one of the oldest Poitou families, closely related to kings Louis XI, Charles VIII and Henry III.
In the 17th century the fief became a marquisate, the coat of arms of which is carved on the magnificent entrance gate, listed as a Historical Monument along with the two towers since 1935. The remains are currently undergoing a major long-term restoration. Nearby: Church of Saint Sulpice in Oyré, Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul in Ingrandes sur Vienne.