Located to the east of the department and crossed by the Vienne, Chauvigny has been historically, geographically and economically a place of passage and rootedness for years. Divided into two with the Upper Town, the Medieval City and the Lower Town, Chauvigny is classified as "The Most Beautiful Detours in France".
Located on a promontory dominating the Vienne, the Upper Town surrounded by ramparts, is an outstanding medieval site comprising the ruins of five fortified castles dominated by the bell tower of the elegant Romanesque collegiate church of Saint-Pierre.
The Lower Town is not to be outdone and develops along the Talbat (stream) from 1830 with the construction of a road axis and the arrival of the railway, thus allowing the extraction of the famous limestone. .