A little corner of nature in Poitiers!
The Jardin des Plantes was created in 1869 on the gardens of the Hôtel-Dieu. Covering an area of approximately 1,5 ha, it was designed to be a pleasure garden, with its cave, its pond, its mosaic beds and its landscaped paths.
It includes about a hundred species of trees and shrubs, which by their seniority and volume are remarkable. The botanical garden, created on the initiative of the professors of medicine for the purpose of documentation for the students of the nearby Faculty, is surrounded by hedges which separate it from the rest of the park.
The garden includes a botanical garden which contains a wide variety of labeled and classified plants (aromatic, condiment, medicinal, etc.) over some 4800 m². The 200m² tropical greenhouse houses 150 different species including a collection of orchids and cacti.