Located about twenty km from Poitiers, the cradle of the legend of the fairy Mélusine will not fail to amaze you with its charm. During your stay in New Aquitaine, the listed heritage of Lusignan and its legend will arouse your curiosity!
Visit Lusignan, a medieval town with a rich heritage
Are you planning to go to Poitiers for your next vacation? During your stay, make a detour to the historic city of Lusignan, which has an important built and natural heritage.
Small town… with character!
Perched on a rocky promontory overlooking the Vonne valley, Lusignan is located about thirty minutes from the Parc du Futuroscope , In the Vienne. The city dates back to the time of the Celts, when it existed as an oppidum, or fortified city. The history of this town is closely linked to that of the Lords of Lusignan, who became kings of Cyprus, Jerusalem and Armenia during their journey to the East. In July 2022, Lusignan joined the network of Small towns of character.
Scroll through the centuries in Lusignan
During your walk, admire the many registered or classified historical monuments, most of which date from the Middle Ages:
• Upon arrival, admire the majestic front door, dating from the XNUMXth century and enter the historic city center, bounded by the ramparts of the old fortress.
• On the central square, contemplate the halls with their magnificent wooden framework, built in 1853 and classified as historical monuments.
• Continue your walk with Celtic accents and discover the church of Notre-Dame-et-Saint-Junien, founded in the first half of the XNUMXth century by Hugues IV de Lusignan. During the wars of religion, this Romanesque-style church in the shape of a Latin cross suffered several damages. It was subsequently revised.
• Near the church, linger over the beautiful red half-timbered house dating from the XNUMXth century and listed as historical monuments. Take the time to stroll through the alleys, which have retained their route of yesteryear.
Discover the remains of the largest fortified castle in France
If you want to visit the Château de Lusignan, once the largest fortified castle in France, know that today only the remains remain! Over the centuries, it has suffered many destructions. Meet at pleasure garden of Lusignan to admire part of the keep, the base of the Poitevine tower, a cistern and the entrance to a closed underground passage. You can also observe a staircase tower in the wall, as well as the foundations of a mustard plant.
Follow in the footsteps of the fairy Mélusine!
When visiting Lusignan, don't miss one of the main magical characters of the Middle Ages, the fairy Mélusine.
The Legend of the Melusine Fairy
• The cursed : The legend tells the story of Mélusine, a young girl cursed by her mother and condemned to the following curse: every Saturday, her legs are covered with scales and take on the appearance of a serpent's tail. If caught in this state, she will never be able to return to human form. To break the curse, she must marry a man who will never have to see her on Saturdays.
• The builder : In Lusignan, she meets Raymondin and agrees to marry him on the sole condition that he does not seek to see her on Saturdays. After their wedding, Raymondin then became the most powerful lord of Poitou. The fairy Mélusine, the builder, built the Château de Lusignan on her husband's land, as well as other majestic cities and fortresses in the surrounding area.
• Fairy : Out of curiosity, one day Raymondin seeks to unlock his wife's secret and discovers her serpent's tail while she is in her bath. When Melusine realizes this, she disappears screaming and profaning horrible threats against the fortresses she has built for her husband. Be on your guard when you come, legend says that it comes back every night to haunt Lusignan, theater of its destiny!
Many representations of Mélusine are visible in Lusignan. Outside the Notre-Dame church, look up and observe the chevet, adorned with a sculpture of Mélusine with outstretched wings. Have fun looking for the other representations hidden all over the historic city!
Admire the natural heritage of Lusignan
City of relaxation and leisure, Lusignan offers many activities and a rich natural heritage during your stay in the Vienne. Labeled "Green Station", it is an ideal destination for family holidays in the countryside in France.
Discover the Promenade de Blossac, a French-style garden
Within the walls of the city, treat yourself to a beautiful bucolic walk in the Promenade de Blossac. This French-style garden was created in the XNUMXth century by the Count of Blossac and is now listed as a heritage site as a natural monument. Laid out on the foundations of the castle, it overlooks the Vonne valley and the communal forest of the Grand Parc, the former hunting estate of the lords of Lusignan. From the rocky promontory, enjoy a magnificent panorama of the Vonne and its viaduct. Have fun following the grassy path at the foot of the remains to understand the importance of the old fortress.
Bathed by the Vonne, Lusignan also invites to beautiful walks and relaxation along its shady banks. The natural site of the Boucle de la Vonne is home to the Vauchiron leisure center. In summer, enjoy nautical and outdoor activities on this exceptional site in the heart of the Mélusin country, located a few dozen kilometers from Poitiers.
In this green setting bordered by the Vonne and the Grand Parc forest, young and old will find what they are looking for: supervised swimming in July and August, outings canoe Kayak along the Vonne, games for children, fishing, picnic tables, mini-golf, etc. The site also has a snack bar to eat anda 2-star campsite with pitches for tents and mobile homes.
Stroll through the Grand Parc forest
Take a breath of fresh air in the Bois du Grand Parc, a communal forest of 160 hectares located at the foot of the viaduct. This site, formerly the hunting grounds of the lords of Lusignan, offers numerous possibilities for walks on marked trails. Let yourself be amazed by the richness of its flora, its steep paths and its wildlife.
Discover the history of the town through the course Tèrra Aventura
geocaching game Tèrra Aventura , offered throughout New Aquitaine, is also available in Lusignan! On the free application, find a course entirely devoted to the fairy Mélusine. A fun way to discover the history of the town, while having fun, children and adults alike!
Zoom on …
Nestled in the Poitevin region, discover the charming village of Château-Larcher and its historical remains. Over the years, this small town has managed to preserve the charm of a rural town with a Mediterranean character.Let's celebrate!
Fancy a nostalgic trip to the past? Direction the Vienne ! Our department is rich in whole centuries of history. Between places, festivals and legends, there are a thousand and one medieval secrets waiting for you...Let's go !